FBI Never Verified Trump Dossier, Still Went After Campaign

Officials from the FBI and Justice Department reportedly told congressional investigators they haven’t verified the allegations made in the infamous Trump-Russia dossier, raising new questions about why an investigation was launched into the dossier’s claims in the first place.

In July 2016, the FBI received the first installment of the dossier. The bureau later received updated versions as Election Day got closer.

Despite being unable to verify the claims made in the dossier, the bureau has been investigating the validity of the dossier for more than a year.

On Aug. 24, 2017, the FBI and and DOJ were sent a subpoena from the House Intelligence Committee that “asked for information on the bureau’s efforts to validate the dossier,” according to the Washington Examiner. Neither the FBI nor the DOJ were able to provide documents in response to the subpoena to validate the claims made in the dossier.

“But in face-to-face briefings with congressional staff,” the Examiner noted, citing sources familiar with the matter, “FBI and DOJ officials have said they cannot verify the dossier’s charges of a conspiracy between the Russian government and the Trump campaign.”

In a closed-door hearing last week before the House Intelligence Committee, Fusion GPS co-founder Glenn Simpson would not answer crucial questions raised about the dossier and how his firm compiled the documents.

One source said Simpson did not provide information regarding his relationship to certain journalists, members of the Democratic National Committee or former Democrat presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign.

Read the rest at: Dossier

 

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.