It isn’t just the Main Stream Media invoking fear into Americans about repealing-replacing Obamacare; it’s a local bludgeoning stick as well.
Recently a group paid to publish a gigantic ad (“DON’T TAX my HEALTHCARE”) in a local newspaper that a blind person could not have missed.
Three glaring points of the ad are:
- 1. the misleading content is by some illusive group promoting a scare title;
2. President Trump, by extension all Republicans and specifically Rep. Steve Knight (CA-25) are going to raise your taxes for healthcare and
3. The message is all about degrading Knight as the November 2018 election approaches. That time frame isn’t long in the land of politics.
The disingenuous ad, with no details, falls in line with the national Left and its propaganda.
Democrats whining about tax increases rings hollow and surpasses hypocrisy. The absence of disclosure of Obamacare’s many mandated taxes, arises either out of ignorance or convenience.
Whichever it is, the lack is reckless.
AMERICANS for Tax REFORM lists the taxes imposed by Obamacare’s 2,700 pages:
- 156% increase in the federal excise tax on tobacco. Effective February 4, 2009.
*the median income of smokers is $36,000 per year.
- Obamacare Individual Mandate Excise Tax; the Health and Human Services (HHS) Obama- appointees define “qualifying” health insurance. If you do not buy theirs, you must pay an income surtax; effective January 2014. Pages 317-337.
- Obamacare Employer Mandate Tax (on 50 employees or more) Pages: 345-346.
*All filers must submit proof of coverage to the IRS. The combined burden of individual and employer mandate tax penalties is $65 billion/10 years.
- Obamacare Surtax on Investment Income creates a new 3.8% surtax on investments income. A $123 billion tax hike as of January 2013; Bill: Reconciliation Act; Pages: 87-93
*Other unearned income includes (for surtax purposes) gross income from interest, annuities, royalties, net rents, and passive income in partnerships and Subchapter-S corporations.
** The 3.8% surtax does not apply to non-resident aliens.
- Obamacare Excise Tax on Comprehensive Health Insurance Plans; effective January 2018. A 40% excise tax on “Cadillac plans”. Pages: 1,941-1,956.
- Obamacare Hike in Medicare Payroll Tax.$86.8 billion tax hike effective January 2013. Bill: Reconciliation Act; Pages 2000-2003.
- Obamacare Medicine Cabinet Tax . $5 billion; effective as of January 2011. This tax erases the healthcare savings account and flexible spending account. Pages 1,957-1,959.
- Obamacare HSA Withdrawal Tax Hike (Health Savings Account). $1.4 billion tax increase effective January 2011. Page 1,959.
- Obamacare Flexible Spending Account Cap—aka “Special Needs Kids Tax”. $13 billion tax hike effective January 2014.
*Erases parents’ ability to take FSA money and pay for schooling for special needs children. Pages 2,388-2,389.
- Obamacare Tax on Medical Device Manufacturers. Tax hike of $20 billion— a 2.3 percent tax hike on 409,000 people in 12,000 plants of medical device manufacturers, irrespective of profit. Pages: 1,980-1,986.
- Obamacare “Haircut” for Medical Itemized Deduction—a tax hike of $15.2 billion tax effective January 2013. It increased the threshold of deducting medical expenses from 7.5 percent of Adjusted Gross Income to 10 percent. Pages: 1,994-1,995.
- Obamacare Tax on Indoor Tanning Services. $2.7 billion tax hike effective July 2010. New 10 percent excise tax on Americans using indoor tanning salons. Pages: 2,397-2,399
- Elimination of tax deduction for employer-provided retirement prescription drug coverage in coordination with Medicare Part D. A $4.5 billion tax hike effective January 2013. Page: 1,994.
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield Tax Hike. $400 million increase effective January 2010; mandates that the special tax deduction in current for Blue Cross/Blue Shield companies will only be allowed if 85 percent or more of premium revenues are spent on clinical services. Page 2,004.
- Obamacare Excise Tax on Charitable Hospitals(minimal increase effective immediately. Taxes each hospital $50,000 if they fail to meet new “community health assessment needs,” “financial assistance,” and “billing and collection” rules set by Obama-appointed HHS bureaucrats. Pages 1,961-1,971.
- Obamacare Tax on Innovator Drug Companies. Tax hike of $22.2 billion tax hike effective January 2010. Annual tax of $2.3 billion based on share of sales made each year. Pages 1,971-1,980.
- Obamacare Tax on Health Insurers. Tax hike of $60.1 billion effective January 2014. Annual tax on the industry based on insurance premiums collected that year. Imposed through 2018 but fully imposed in 2014 on firms with $50 million in profits. Pages 1,986-1,993.
- Obamacare $500,000 Annual Executive Compensation Limit for Health Insurance Executives($600 million effective January 2013. Pages 1,995-2,000.
- Obamacare Employer Reporting of insurance on W-2 forms(minimum dollars effective January 2012). “Preamble to taxing health benefits on individual tax returns”. Page 1,957.
- “Black liquor” tax hike (on a type of bio-fuel).$23.6 billion tax hike effective immediately. Bill: Reconciliation Act; Page 105.
- Obamacare Codification of the “economic substance doctrine”. $4.5 billion tax hike effective immediately.
*This allows the IRS to reject completely-legal tax deductions and other legal tax-minimizing plans just because the IRS deems that the action lacks “substance” and is merely intended to reduce taxes owed. Bill: Reconciliation Act; Pages 108-113.
It’s important to remember that President Obama promised Obamacare was NOT a tax—that is until his Solicitor General Donald Verrilli Jr. , went before the United States Supreme Court and claimed that it is a tax (which was needed to get Obamacare passed).
Our local Democrats are angry they didn’t win the seat that Congressman Steve Knight holds. Be assured the propaganda will know no boundaries as we roll to the November 2018 election.
Editor’s note: Be alert in your area. This is NOT an isolated occurrence.