In another instance of government run amok, the local officials in Tacoma, Washington have come up with a not-so-brilliant idea to get guns off the street…
“the city is considering a gun “drop box” that would allow a person to drop-off a gun into a secured, steel box no questions asked”
The stupidity of this “idea” is… well, where do I begin?
- Criminals don’t follow the law. That’s why they’re “criminals.”
- What makes them think said “criminals” will suddenly surrender their primary means of committing a crime?
- Sure the box will be locked, but for how long? (See #1 above.)
- Oh, right! There will be security cameras installed to make sure the box, where you can drop the gun “anonymously,” won’t be tampered with or broken into. There goes the anonymity.
- Will concealed carry and/or open carry laws be suspended for anyone “supposedly” in transit to one of the drop boxes?
- How big will this box (and the drop opening) need to be to receive rifles, shotguns, AK’s?
- Exactly HOW thick will the drop box steel be? I’m thinking any moron dropping off a gun in one of these boxes probably won’t be reliable enough to trust that it has been unloaded/disarmed. Am I the only one seeing accidental discharge issues here?
- Speaking of “ammo”… how will they prevent these boxes being easily converted into a street side bomb? You know a little paper and a match dropped into a box like this could be a BIG problem!
- Who will be emptying these boxes? Brinks? Because whoever it is will need to be armed!
- And lastly… does anyone else see these street corners as the new “hang out” for would-be criminals looking to score a new weapon? Seems like easy pickin’s to me!
I didn’t even get to the cost of these stupid things! Good grief! Do you think anyone in that City Council looked at whoever brought up this idea and said “Are you serious?!”
Photo credit King Lomo